Red Beans and Rice


 Ingredients

  • 1 lb. dried red kidney beans
  • 6 cups water
  • 1 green pepper, small dice
  • 2 large onions, small dice
  • 4 stalks of celery, small dice
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 28 oz. petite diced tomatoes
  • 2 Tablespoons of Tony Chachaire's Creole Seasoning
  • 1 Tablespoon of Hungarian Paprika
  • I didn't add salt or pepper, the Creole Seasoning was salty. I also didn't add additional hot pepper flakes, as the Creole Seasoning gave it enough kick.
Steps
  1. I cooked my beans in the Instant Pot because I didn't want the hassle of watching them on the stove all day. It works great, no presoaking, just use a pound of dried beans and 6 cups water. Manually set the Instant Pot to an hour and fifteen minutes, natural release.
  2. While the beans are cooking prep veggies, and put them in stockpot with the tomatoes. After beans are cooked, add to the stockpot and simmer everything covered for 30 minutes.
  3. I also cooked my rice in the IP after I removed the beans. 
  4. I wanted a vegetarian version so I didn't add cajun sausage. I cut Zatarain's Cajun Sausage in small disks and browned it in olive oil for hubby, then when I served it, I added the sausage to his Red Beans and Rice. Excellent recipe, top with green onions, serve with French bread, so simple.

Quick Tip:

If you don't want to cook dried beans, use 2-3 cans of light red kidney beans, drained, proceed with recipe and pressure for 3 minutes, quick release.